For me, Valentine’s Day is not just about roses and chocolates (although who doesn’t love a good box of chocolate?), it’s all about showing the people in your life that you appreciate them. Rhubarb has a very special place in my heart so this year I am giving out these delicious and simple rhubarb tarts to the ones I love.
1/2 c. powdered sugar
1 1/2 c. flour
1 1/2 sticks unsalted butter, softened and sliced
3 c. frozen chopped rhubarb
1 c. sugar
3 tb. flour
pillsbury pie dough (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Combine the powdered sugar, flour, and butter into a mixer or food processor and mix on high until ingredients create a ball of dough. Take a small amount of dough and press into your tart tins making sure to create a thin layer while filling in all ridges. Once your tart tins are prepared, place them in the oven for 10-12 minutes, until golden brown.
2. While you are waiting for your crust to cook, mix the chopped rhubarb, sugar, and flour into a mixing bowl and stir well.
3. Take your crusts out of the oven and set aside to let cool.
4. Heat a large saucepan and melt enough butter to coat the bottom of your pan. Pour rhubarb mix into the saucepan and let simmer on low heat for about 15 minutes stirring occasionally.
5.Remove pan from heat and let sit about 20 minutes to cool.
6. Once your crusts have cooled they should be very easy to pop out of the tins, just remember they are very delicate. Use a spoon to scoop the rhubarb mixture onto your crusts, as much or as little as you’d like!
7. If you’d like to decorate your tarts you can cut out hearts out of pie dough. I like to use the Pillsbury pie dough from the grocery store because it is super easy to work with. Or your dust your tarts with powdered sugar!